Friday, February 21, 2014

Frustrating

Aubrey is going through a very frustrating age where everything is a fight. Our interactions are either incredible or teetering somewhere between slightly frustrating to I want to die. There is no baseline. No happy medium. It's all poles around here. A few recent screams from my toddlers during a few of our many recent arguments

Aubrey: I DON'T WANT TO TAKE A BATH! I WANT TO BE DIRTY FOREVER!!
Me: Aubrey, you need to get clean. I don't really care what you want. 
Aubrey: GET ME DIRTY AGAIN! GET ME DIRTY AGAIN, NOW!
Me: If you want to get dirty you'll have to get yourself dirty (leaves Aubrey standing alone, and naked in the shower which is now turned off)
Aubrey: (for probably 15 minutes): I WANT YOU TO GET ME DIRTY! I DON'T WANT TO GET MYSELF DIRTY! GET ME DIRTY! YOU'RE RUINING MY DAY!

...

Me: Ok Aubrey, let's put your coat on and go home.
Aubrey: I DON'T WANT TO WEAR A COAT.
Me: Aubrey, it's cold outside and it's winter. You have to wear a coat. 
Aubrey: I DON'T WANT TO WEAR A COAT!
Me: Aubrey, Daddy was going to bring you home a chocolate milk tonight, do you still want him to do that?
Aubrey: Yes.
Me: Then you have to be a good girl and cooperate and put your coat on.
Aubrey: I DON'T WANT CHOCOLATE MILK! I DON'T WANT TO PUT MY COAT ON!
Me: Aubrey, what did I say this morning? I don't want everything to be a fight with you. 
Aubrey: I WANT EVERYTHING TO BE A FIGHT!!!

...

There's so many more - I can't even put them all into words. I'd show you a video, but it'd hurt your ears.

Three...whoever coined the phrase terrible twos clearly wasn't parenting my child.

1 comment:

  1. JENNA.
    You are speaking my language.
    "Our interactions are either incredible or teetering somewhere between slightly frustrating to I want to die."
    YES.
    This COMPLETELY resonates with the stage we are in!! This morning, we had a meltdown because I put the milk in the wrong cup. How dare I. Common hotspots: taking off pajamas, putting on a coat, not continuing to read the same book 400 times in a row, etc.

    ReplyDelete