Saturday, March 5, 2011

Disheveled

 I was the disheveled, hobo looking woman in Target yesterday.

 For some reason, I completely forgot about the existence of carts, so when I pulled into Target to pick up just a few things in my mind, it seemed like a fabulous idea to just carry Aubrey in my arms. That car seat is heavy, this will obviously be easier.


So, I'm wandering around Target carrying Aubrey in my arms. And she's wrapped up in a pink polka dot blanket and against my should is her burpcloth.

Oh, and also, it's laundry day. And this child spits up a lot. So the burpcloth I was down to was an old diaper that my mom had used for us when we were kids. And I actually wore cloth diapers. So not only was it stained with five children's worth of spit up, but also with actual pee. from me. very poetic, I know.


And then I realized that the few things  I needed were special bottles (for spit-up), diaper rash cream (one for my house and one for my mom's) and baby powder for my mom. So, I'm attempting to carry all of these things in one hand with Aubrey in my other hand. And of course she spits up. So I'm trying to clean that up. And I'm dropping my purchases all over the place. And the burpcloth is now completely soaked through from wiping her up.


And then I get in line to check out. I'm the third person in line and I drop her blanket on the floor. And then a friendly cashier specifically points to me and tells me she is open at register 5. And that was really really sweet of her, except that I had a blanket on the floor that I knew I wouldn't be able to bend over and pick up without dropping my purchases, or my baby, or both. So I head down to register 5 kicking the blanket across the floor in front of me (I wish I was joking here, but  you can't make this stuff up.) And then as I walk up to the register, an old lady approaches me with my dripping burp cloth that I have unbeknownest to me dropped on the floor down at the beginning of the registers.




Oh, and the back of Aubrey's shirt was covered in mustard that I somehow wiped on her while having hotdogs for lunch earlier in the day.


Yeah. I'm sometimes a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment