Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homemade Tortilla Shells!

Martin and I have been trying to eat healthy this year. We buy a lot of produce. We drink orange juice. We have basically given up on red meat. I've more or less stopped using butter. And we don't even have salt in the house. We've really turned a corner on this whole healthy eating thing.

Anyway, one healthy meal I like to make is chicken fajitas. I make my own taco seasoning using paprika, garlic powder, cayenne powder and cumin (it tastes delicious and doesn't have all the sodium you find in those packets!) The only problem with them is, the flour tortillas you buy from the store. They are surprisingly unhealthy. So then we tried corn tortillas. Which are surprisingly untasty. Which is when I decided to look for a homemade tortilla recipe. (And yes, I will probably now need to reference this post everytime I make them).

3 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/3 cup of canola oil
1 cup hot water.

Mix flour and baking powder together. Add canola oil and Mix until mixture is a bunch of really fine balls. Pour in hot water and knead into ball. Let rise wrapped in plastic wrap in fridge for a half hour or overnight. Break into approximately 12 balls and roll out with rolling pin on a floured surface. Fry in ungreased frying pan turning over when one side has brown blisters.

I was having a really hard rolling these out into anything that even remotely resembled a circle. Martin had much better luck. Yes, he also got covered in flour in the process.
But look at the plate full of beautiful and delicious tortilla shells he has to show for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment