Sunday, January 6, 2013

On Being Married.

You know how insomnia hits at the worst times? Like its lurking around just waiting for a night when you really need to sleep. Just waiting for that moment when you have two back to back crazy busy days with limited down time and you really really need all available down time to be devoted to sleep so you can get through the next crazy day. It's always on days like this that you find yourself looking at the clock with a racing mind at 1:30.....and then 1:35.....and then 2:00 and then 2:15 and then.....you get the point.

Martin's birthday came and went without much any fanfare on this blog. I'm not sure why I omitted talking about what an amazing person he is on his one special day of the year, but for some reason I did. And then I never even mentioned that he is now 28 and still amazing and even if he's worried about getting old I'm patiently waiting for his hair to gray (little known fact: I love salt and pepper hair).

On one of the many crazy days in December (working in retail doesn't offer much holiday relaxation) I was suffering from the exact case of insomnia I described above. After watching the clock tick by for more than two hours I seriously thought I was going to die and I was quickly approaching the level of frustration that can only end in a really mature way (yelling at Martin for things he didn't do and crying about things I can't control) when I scooted over in the bed and crawled into Martin's nest. And even though Martin and I rarely cuddle when we sleep. And even though Martin had no idea I was on the verge of a breakdown and I really needed his acceptance. He opened his arm up, pulled me in tight and with a swift motion kicked my nervous breakdown and it's friend, insomnia, aside. I fell asleep within minutes and awoke in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day.

As I untangled myself from Martin's arms to shut off my alarm, I couldn't help but think to myself, this is why people get married. Because when it comes down to it we're all just looking for someone to take us into their nest when we need it the most. Thank you, Martin, for taking me into your nest. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment