Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Happy - Sad Continuum

Before having a child of my own - I never really liked children. I understand this sounds cold-hearted, but it's not. You know when you go to a family reunion or a graduation party or some sort of large gathering that hosts the gamut as far as age is concerned. At these parties there is usually one, sometimes two or three, really nice, beautiful girls that all the children are attracted to. The children love these girls and typically,the girls love children.

I have never been one of those girls.

Other than my niece Kendyll, whom Ingrid says I speak of as if she is a celebrity, I can't really remember any really good interactions I've had with children. (Although, I did make up a lunch plate for one of the little Neal boys the other day, but I'm not really sure that counts since the interaction occurred after having a child of my own).

It's not that I don't want to have good interactions with kids. It's just that I really enjoy conversations. And I know that kids can have conversations, mostly because I have learned this from Kendyll, but typically, I have no idea what they want to talk about. I am completely out of the loop when it comes to children. My friend, Michelle, remembers basically every children's book ever made and for some unapparent reason is also familiar with all the cartoons. I don't have that knowledge. And I don't think any child wants to talk about the last book I read, The Perks of Being A Wallflower or the fact that I just recently watched all six seasons of Sex and The City on DVD.

That's not to say I don't like being in the general vincinity of children. Because I also really enjoy laughing And kids say the funniest things. I just can't lead the conversation to get them to say the funniest thing. So I like to contain my interactions to eavesdropping, essentially. I like to sit, slightly in the distance, and listen to the funny things that kids say to other people.

I've gotten horribly off track here.

Here's the thing. As I've beaten the point to death stated, I am not really a kid person. So, everything my own child does is completely fascinating to me. One of these things being the Happy - Sad Continuum. Here's the thing about it - you've heard of a love/hate relationship? It's sort of like that. But slightly different. One moment Aubrey will be looking around, making cooing noises, and smiling. And I am thinking wow, you are the happiest, cutest, most adorable kid alive. Then thirty-two seconds later. Crying. It's completely crazy! What could possibly have upset the balance of the universe in such a drastic way in 32 seconds!

That's just one of my many new kid observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment