Wednesday, February 9, 2011

All Grown Up.

I recently read something somewhere about the moment when you felt like a grown up.

Honestly, for most of my adult life, I haven't really felt like a grown-up. Even though I've been supporting myself for a few years now, I really haven't felt like a grown-up.

All the typical milestones that really should scream grown up haven't really done it for me.

Graduating from College....didn't do it.

Getting a Good Job. My FIRST REAL job. ... Still not feeling it.

Marrying the love of my life... Is that a grown-up thing to do?

Getting a permanant address that is not the same as my parents'... Not yet

Making Thanksgiving Dinner....Close, but still. Not a grown-up

Even having the the most adorable child ever didn't make me feel like a grown-up. (sorry for no picture, my internet has decided it doesn't want to upload anything else.)

The moment that I felt like a grown-up was the first time I took Aubrey to the doctor. I had the fill out the obligatory new patient paperwork. And when I got to the second question. Suddenly, it was obvious. Wow. I'm a grownup. Because that second question. It really threw me for a loop.

Question One: Name of Patient.

That's easy. Aubrey Bruning.

Question Two: Parent of Patient.

Cyndy Van......Oh. Wait. I'm the parent. Holy Crap, I'm a mother. I'm a grown-up.


And that is the long winded story of the first time I realized I was a grown-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment