Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Overcoming Obstacles



Martin and I have been married for a year and a half.
I have yet to touch his feet.

I am not one of those people that is really grossed out by feet.
I can look at them
And I'll touch them if neccesary

I don't freak out if Martin's feet touch mine.
Or if his feet touch my legs or something.
I just never really wanted my hand to touch Martin's feet. It seemed gross to me for some reason.
I think it is safe to say that Martin probably doesn't even know that I have ever had an opposition to his feet and therefore the monumentalness (is that a word?) of this moment will be lost on him.

But like I said. Martin and I have been married for a year and a half
I have yet to touch his feet
that is
until Sunday night


Martin was sitting on one end of the couch with his legs outstretched and I was on the opposite. Therefore, my feet were up by him and his feet were up by me. For some reason, I don't know what came over me, I grabbed Martin's foot and started carelessly stroking it. Yes. I actually wrapped my hand around that thick foot with hobbit-like hair on top.

It was quite monumental.

Anyways, I feel like with this final move to being about to touch Martin's feet with my hand our relationship has really progressed to a new level. Now I never have to worry about where my hands are and this sudden touching of the feet has spurred multiple tickle competitions. Where you tickle the other person's feet, or armpits, and see how long they can stand and take it. Its a feat of strength....or something. As you can probably imagine I lose terribly at these contests and often feel my feet flinch before Martin even touches them. The only way I can hold any dignity and keep my foot still for a few seconds is by clenching my head in my hand, writhing the rest of my body back and forth, and laughing until tears stream down my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment