Monday, April 19, 2010

Strawberry Sandwiches

When I started attending kindergarten many years ago I was appointed the job to feed calves hay and grain and bed the hutches with straw so they were nice and clean. I would do this everyday after school and my Grandma would feed the calves milk. On the weekends, I would come over in the morning to help my Grandma feed milk to the calves and then I would go to her house for breakfast every single Saturday morning. I used to treasure those Saturday mornings and as a result of all the time I spent with my grandma, she has basically always been my go-to hero. (You know, when you're a kid people are always asking you who your hero is. I say...My Grandma. As an adult I guess no one cares if you have hopes for the future.)

Most morning I would have two fried eggs and toast. Grandma made the best fried eggs. My other Grandma makes the best pancakes, this grandma found her niche in fried eggs, though. But, when strawberry season rolled around, I would eat Strawberry Sandwiches. I think they're a Dutch thing, hence me learning about them from my Dutch Grandma, but either way - they are great.

Right now, and for the last few weeks, strawberries at Aldi have only been $1.19 a quart - so I've taken to chowing down on these almost every morning for breakfast. Here's the basic recipe.

Toast two pieces of bread or english muffin
Butter toast
Sprinkle with sugar
Top with strawberry slices.
Enjoy!

I kind of prefer this on bread instead of english muffins, but both are delicious! Sometimes I put the slices together like a sandwich and other times I eat them open-faced. I can't wait till the sweet and succulent local strawberries start to ripen!

No comments:

Post a Comment