Monday, April 12, 2010

What Not To Do

On Thursday morning last week I had another doosey of an interview that I thought I'd share. You know. In case you need any interviewing advice. Here's some examples of what not to do.

Me: So tell me a little about yourself.
Interviewee: Well. I am going to Florida pretty soon to visit my boyfriend. He is in the New Zealand Army. (at this point it is important to note that the candidate suddenly begins to speak in a sharp New Zealand accent that appears in here speech neither before nor after this comment)
Me: (picking up on sudden accent) Oh. Are you from New Zealand?
Interviewee: No, but I'd like to go there someday.

...and it continues...

Interviewee: Well I was working at Burger King. But that turned out to be a lot harder than I thought and I really didn't like it so I ended up leaving there.
Me: When you say it was a lot harder than you thought, what do you mean? What made it difficult?
Interviewee: Well. It was a really fast-paced environment, you know because it's fast food, and my boss was really tough to work for. He really expected a lot of you. He wouldn't let you slack off or anything.
(I do believe her that Burger King is a fast-paced and challenging environment to work for. That is actually part of the reason I had called her for an interview. Because she did work there and I am looking for people that can handle a fast-paced environment. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but generally telling a potential future employer that your old boss wouldn't let you slack off probably isn't the best of strategies.)

...and it continues...

Interviewee: Well, I have some conflicts with other employees at the place where I work now?
Me: What do you mean?
Interviewee: Well, like this one girl told me to do something and I didn't do it properly and she told me to fix it and I told her that I don't think it's her place to tell me that I did it wrong. She just has a power problem.
(can't get along with co-workers. Just what I'm looking for).

...and it continues...

Me: If you were to be hired for this position it would be pending both a background check and a drug test. For example a hair follicle test would show any illegal drug consumed within the last two years. And it would just tell us yes or no. It wouldn't tell us if you used it once at a party of if you use it everyday and its going to affect your job performance. Is there anything that would show up on there?
Interviewee: umm. Yes.
Me: Ok. Well when do you think is the last time that you did drugs?
Interviewee: Last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment