Thursday, March 14, 2013

Banana Bread


Two weeks ago I bought a bunch on bananas for Aubrey to snack on throughout the week. Then, she went through some sort of no bananas phase and wasn't really interested in eating bananas for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner). So, I decided to try my hand at banana bread. I turned to one of my go-to recipe blogs, Annie's Eats, in search of a banana bread recipe. And, Annie did not dissapoint! I made a few revisions to the original recipe which you can find here, but these revisions were mostly out of neccesity or sheer laziness. In Annie's recipe she highly recommends squeezing the water from the bananas and then cooking it down to a more concentrated liquid. As soon as I read that, I knew I was probably too lazy to do this step and then when the first comment mentioned that the smell of the bananas cooking in the microwave almost made her throw up, my laziness was suddenly justified. I was also out of vanilla, so added in a little more granulated sugar AND I have difficulty reading completely through instructions so I added the sugar into bread. My only real comment on the recipe is I wish I had tried this sooner! It was completely delicious.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine the following dry ingredients in a bowl.
1 and 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons of sugar (this part I accidentally combined in here because I didn't read the instructions thoroughly. The granulated sugar is supposed to only be sprinkled on top and it's supposed to be 2 teaspoons. I increased to five due to being out of vanilla. The bread turned out so delicious I think I'll keep this recipe when I make it again)

Melt in the microwave
8 tablespoons (1 stick) of unsalted butter

In a large bowl mash with a potatoe masher
5 ripe bananas until smooth

Into the banana bowl whisk in
2 large eggs
The melted butter
3/4 cup or brown sugar (I had a scant 3/4 cup due to being almost out).

Mix in dry ingredients
Pour batter into 9 inch loaf pan (make sure you spray the pan with some cooking spray first)
Bake for 55-75 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete