Sunday, June 13, 2010

Binary

My sister-in-law, Ingrid is moving to Germany tomorrow. I really don't know what I am going to do with her in an 8 hour time-zone difference. One was plenty for me. I feel like our daily communication may become difficult to uphold. It's really starting to stress me out. But that's not what this post is supposed to be about.

Ingrid came up to New York for the weekend before moving to Germany. I spent all day Thursday with her and it was amazing. During our day together, we obviously discussed this, that, and the other thing. (you probably know exactly what I'm talking about here)....Anyway, one of those topics of conversation was how I see everything in black and white. I really don't deal with gray area; I basically just dismiss it from my life.

That is not to say that I am not open-minded and unaccepting. Because I actually am very open-minded and accepting; I just don't deal with middle ground. The answer is either yes, no, or it's not a question I feel like thinking about.

While I realize this is probably not a very good trait and something I should work on, it is also the reason I am good at my job. Because when someone calls me up and needs a decision made immediately, I have an answer; it's either do this or do that. I'm very straightforward.

As I was driving yesterday I was thinking about this conversation and probably one of the best examples of my tendency to stay away from the gray has to do with my affinity, or lack there of, to desserts. Let me explain...I am not a huge fan of sweet things. I absolutely do not like frosting and I'm also not a huge fan of milk chocolate. That being said, a couple of years ago I decided I just wasn't going to like desserts, apparently choosing less sweet dessert options was a little too much  of a gray area and I wanted to just shut out the entire problem. So, I stopped eating desserts. When dessert was offered, I would say - no thank, I'm not a huge sweet fan. I don't really like dessert. And the conversation would move past me. I think I have since gotten better, meaning I will try desserts on occasion but as a general rule, I'm still avoiding the gray.

No comments:

Post a Comment