Monday, June 14, 2010

Trash Talk

So, I don't usually like to trash talk companies or people on here. That is not to say that I am not judgemental, because that's probably another negative quality of mine, but just to say that I like to keep it civil. In this circumstance, however, I feel the world would be a better place with a little trash talking.

I have flown to a total of 3 different destinations this year thus far: Chicago, Austin, and Ft. Lauderdale. Two of those destinations were originally booked on a Delta flight. Those same two flights were cancelled. On the day of departure.

Destination One: Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.
Circa 5:00 AM, Martin and I have arrived at the Ithaca Airport excited to start our weeklong vacation in Florida.....or not. We arrive and I begin to wait in line at the ticket counter to get our boarding passes. About five minutes into my wait, a guy comes out to tell us that the flight has been cancelled and we will all need to be rebooked. As the entire flight begins to arrive, it becomes clear that Delta has not bothered to contact anyone about this issue.
One passenger: Why is the flight cancelled?
Attendent: There are some crew issues and we have no plane here.
Awesome planning Delta. Forget to have a plane at an airport with an expected departure the week after all the aggresive snowstorms in the DC, Philly area. Every outbound plane won't be booked up to transfer to will it?
Fast forward to two hours later when I've been talking with the attendent trying to find a way to get us Florida. Well it looks like your only option is to cancel the flight and try to get as much of a refund as you can.

Destination 2: Austin, TX
I receive a call at 2:30 AM from an unknown number. I ignore it. The number calls back again. I ignore it again. It calls again, I pick up.
Woman: Hello, I'm calling with Delta, your scheduled flight for this morning has been cancelled due to crew issues. We're going to need to rebook you.
Me: Are you kidding me???
Woman: I'm very sorry. Let me see here. We can fly you out of Rochester this morning.
Me: Look, I know that you have nothing to do with this and I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but can you tell someone that Delta really needs to get their shit together. This is the second time this has happened to me this year and its only March. So now I have to leave my house right now to catch a flight in Rochester, because you guys can't get your shit together.
Woman: I'm very sorry.

And then...
Ingrid was supposed to fly back to Texas on Saturday afternoon, giving her Sunday to close up her affairs and say good-bye to friends before she moves to Germany. But guess what happened when she arrived at the airport??? You've probably figured this one out already......Her flight was cancelled. Guess what airline she was flying on.....Delta. Big surprise there. On top of that they were all, oh - I'm so sorry we accidentally deleted your reservation! You can still fly out today for $800! or we can get you out tomorrow morning for $240. Oh, and by the way, we're not going to refund your money for that ticket that we accidentally cancelled. Yeah, its really too bad but unfortunately you purchased a non-refundable ticket and we can't be held responsible if one of our booking agents totally fucked up and cancelled your flight. As you can probably understand, we're going to make you eat that cost.


Sorry for the massive amount of huge lettering there, but I  felt like that entire statement needed to be made large, just to fully appreciate the ridiculous of it.

The only thing that entire episode with Ingrid did for me was really reaffirm my decision to pay an extra $12 to not fly Delta on my approaching trip to Nashville in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment