Sunday, July 4, 2010

Three Cheers.

Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue. La la la, la la la, la la laaa la.

You know what song I'm talking about? I know the tune, but I can only remember the words that correspond with the title.

Anyway, Independence Day is always an amazing holiday for a couple of reasons.

1. Its my brother's birthday.
2. We go on an amazing canoe trip every year.

I am hoping for this years canoe trip to be the best of them all. And don't worry, I'll be sure to update with all the highlights from the 2010 Taming of the Mighty Oak Orchard Float Fest in the next few days!

For now, here's a few highlights from previous years.

2009 Float Fest: It had been raining a lot the water was high and rapid. Helicopters were circling the creek making sure that no one died, I swam the last mile because we couldn't get our canoe turned back over and Martin lost his wedding ring. A fun, but perilous, trip.

2008 Float Fest: While I know this trip was amazing and fun, when I look back on it, two events really stand out in my head. The first is a friend from college, Betsy, who had come along on the trip sitting drunk in a pile of sludge on the side of the creek in a wifebeater that no longer even remotely resembled what was supposed to be a white shirt. And Martin trying to get my best friend, Caton, to hook up with my brother Alex.
Martin: You guys should just go for it. You've got the right parts and he's got the right part and it just fits together.
Martin: You guys just have so much in common. Like you both go to Cornell.
Me: Alex doesn't go to Cornell.
Martin: But he will someday. Trust me, I know these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment