Friday, July 23, 2010


Last weekend I drove on a wine tour with these lovely ladies for Caton's birthday. It was amazing. I honestly didn't think it was possible to have so much fun on a wine tour without drinking, but I had an absolutely marvelous time!

Our first stop was Lynoaken Farms. I love this place because the people are extremely nice and it is so close to Lyndonville. We ended up driving behind Martin and Gabe on the way there so we made them pull into the parking lot and get us pumped up with a lot of laughter. Inside, we were a huge hit with servers.

Wine Server: (to me) So, did you draw the short straw and get stuck driving?
Me: No. I just got knocked up.

This comment was a big hit and apparently called for high fives all around with the wine servers. We were having so much fun there the servers asked if they could just come with us for the rest of the day..

I can't believe this is your first stop! We're going with these girls.

Then some random guy who was there with his wife asked if he could be our driver. I think he missed some crucial bits of the conversation though because......I am the driver.
Sidenote: Don't you love the pattern on Caton's dress. I want to put it on my wall.

Next we went to Viscera. We have never been here before because it always seems really full. It is also kind of a huge market thing where they host weddings, have wine and beer, a farmstand, a castle to play in; there's a lot going on here. This ended up being the winery that really put everyone over the edge.

Caton: It's my birthday today.
Wine Server: I'm going to get you fucked up.

He then proceeded to do just that. About halfway through the tasting Kerri realized that he actually just married their cousin so Caton and Kerri are related to this guy. Crazy huh? This revelation just egged him on for getting them "fucked up" because after that, Caton's glass was never empty. Actually it was rarely less full than three quarters. If I had to take a guess, I would say she consumed somewhere between one and a half and two bottles of wine here.


We left Viscera with all the girls feeling very tipsy and headed to Freedom Run. Last time we went here, the owner was trying to convince Katie that she should get together with his son who is a student getting his MBA at a college.....somewhere...in Rochester or Buffalo.....we couldn't quite remember. Anyway, when we walked in and saw a guy about our age we immediately thought this was the long lost son that we had been looking for. Upon baraging him with questions, however, we found out that he is just a boy, named Lucas, working at a winery pouring wine for the summer. He didn't quite know how to deal with our lively ridiculousness.

Kylie took as many opportunities as possible at this winery to rub my belly, whenever an appropriate opening became available. After the first time she did it she whispered, Yes! I've been waiting to do that all day!

After Freedom Run we went to a winery with really pretty wildflowers and a long driveway and a wine called Beauvine with a cow on it. I can never remember the name of this winery, but I also can't really remember anything notable happening here.
Then we went to the winery that has really awesome bathrooms and amazing stained glass on the bars. I can't remember the name of this one, I do remember that the bartender was a complete drag and basically hated her job, and life and pouring wine in general. She was just angry at the world. I asked her how long she had been working there and she said three years. I guess its been a long three years. I don't know if its really sinking in what a buzzkill this lady was, but I was trying desperately to get us another wine server. There was a really fun guy with the group next to us wearing a hawaiian shirt who looked like he was possible gay. He was the guy I wanted. So I asked him if he could do us and he was like no problem and then told our buzzkill lady that he would finish up our tasting for her but she was so worried about having to serve the bus that she refused to give us up. Luckily, hanging out in the bathroom made up for her poor service!

Next, we went to Niagara Landing. We met some people we knew in the parking lot and then snuck in just in time for a wine tasting. They were about to start packing up for the day, but instead we had a lot of fun listening to the server's sarcastic, witty, sort of hateful comments about life.

This isn't the end of our day, but I think this post is getting a little long so I'll leave you with that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment