Friday, February 12, 2010

Adding Volumes to Your Self-Esteem

Haircuts are funny things. A good haircut can really make you feel good about yourself. A bad haircut really makes you feel down in the dumps. But somehow, at least for me, I always push the haircut to the back of my priority list, never getting one until I really really need one.

Last weekend was one of those times. I hadn't gotten my hair cut since mid-July, so as you can imagine. It was a mess. The dead ends were so out of control that my hair was constantly getting tangled and snarly. Running a brush through it, even directly after conditioning was beginning to be a chore. It was very long and very straight and the layers that used to flow down my hair giving it volume had long since grown out. What I had was a mess. Hair that can only be worn in a ponytail.

I needed a haircut. bad.

But hairdressers are funny things too. You don't want to just go to any hairdresser. Any hairdresser might ruin your hair, completely defeating the purpose of the visit in the first place. You have to know the hairdresser, have a relationship with her and then she knows exactly how to make your hair look beautiful. And then there is the whole factor of conversation. You have  to talk to the dresser through the entire cutting process and what if she is weird??? So now, on top of finding a good hairdresser you have to find someone that is interesting and fun to have a conversation with. Then, there is the whole money thing. A haircut can range from $8 to $100. I like to be closer to the $8 mark. I think the most I've ever paid for a haircut is $30, but that really made me cringe. Just to recap on what we're looking for in a hairdresser here, since this list seems to be growing exponentially: someone good who gets your hair, someone who you want to have a long conversation with, and someone who is affordable. That is hard to come by.

I tend to think that woman who cut hair out of their house, either in their kitchen or in a salon room off of their kitchen are the best hairdressers. I don't know if that has something to do with the fact that I grew up getting my hair cut in the kitchen of Mrs. Klips, but that is what I like the best.

When you move, it's hard to find those people who cut hair in their kitchen. Generally they have absolutely no advertising and even if they did it would negate the whole appeal of them cutting hair in their kitchen. You have to hear about them through word-of-mouth. This basically means you have to talk to people that have lived in the area forever and that know about these things. When you're like Martin and I and you barely know people that are in the area for a short period of time, this is hard to come by.

On Saturday morning, I asked my mom if she knew anyone that cut hair on the weekends (Mrs. Klips doesn't cut hair on Saturdays). She gave me the number to Jodi O'Conner who cuts one of her friend's hair and is right down the road. I was very apprehensive, but I really needed a haircut - so I put my fears aside and gave Jodi a call.

Am I ever happy that I did that! Jodi is absolutely amazing! She did a great job cutting my hair - I now have lucious layers again, reccommended that I get some spray-in hair sunscreen for the summer so my red hair doesn't get faded in the sun (who knew they made such a thing?!) and also wants me to get low-lights in my hair "I would never want you to dye your whole head with a color like that, but I think lowlights would really help to enhance the color" She has basically read my mind! Also, she was fun to talk to - I feel like we're best friends now AND the cut was only $15.

Let's review:
Someone good who gets my hair check
Someone who is fun to talk to check
Someone who is reasonably priced check


ps. As this posts I am on an airplane to Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment