Saturday, February 13, 2010

Family Traditions

Growing up, I vividly remember every single family vacation beginning with an argument. When I say argument, I mean by the time we were half a mile down the road we were all screaming at each other and my dad would be shouting, "Everyone be quiet! We're going on vacation as a family and we're gonna have fun god damn it!"

It seems that I've carried this tradition into my new family (aka: my family with Martin).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This morning circa 4:00 AM.
me: I want to leave here by 4:25 so that we can get parked and in the airport by five. Last time I showed up after five at Ithaca for a 6:00 AM flight I almost missed it and had to be sent to the front of the security line.
fast forward to 4:22
martin: (running into kitchen turning on water to start washing a pile of dishes).
me: what are you doing???
martin: I thought we should have all the dishes clean before we leave.
me: well. It's too late for that now. I haven't been home all week to even make dirty dishes and I worked too late last night to clean them. You probably could have cleaned them when I was in Chicago.
martin: well, I was thinking I would clean them last night.
me: well, now we have to go - so forget it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------




me: be careful getting into the passenger's seat. There are store blueprints right there, like about to fall out the door. martin: (immediately opens door and steps on blueprint)
me: What are you doing??? I just told you about those.
martin: well, I didn't see them and I thought you meant make sure they don't fall out the door. I didn't see anything that was falling out the door.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I am starting to think that maybe it is me adding all the stress to vacation departures since this little charade seems to be following me through life. And to add to it, we have to do the whole thing over again on Sunday since we never actually took off. And this time we have to drive all the way to Buffalo Airport - a full three hours from here. This one will probably be a doosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment