Friday, March 26, 2010

Analogies

I have go-to phrases that I use at work.

It looks like a bomb went off here!

That's a phrase I use pretty much everytime I don't like how something looks.

For example:
It looks like a bomb went off in special purchase!
It looks like a bomb went off in the freezer!
It looks like a bomb went off in the backroom!

Recently, I have half-heartedly tried to steer away from this phrase. This is mostly because I had an employee who was previously in the army and one day while doing a store walk with him I said, "This freezer backstock needs to be cleaned up, it looks like a bomb went off in here" To which he replied, "I think if  you ever actually saw a bomb go off you might not use that phrase so candidly." Good Point.

Tonight, I was explaining the special purchase situation in a new store which I just inherited. The new store that is in Syracuse and an hour and a half from my house! But that's a whole new story in itself. Anyway, as I was explaining this to Martin I said, "Special Purchase looked like someone puked all over it" To which Martin replied, "You and your phrases.......But....if you really wanted to make it graphic you should say a clown puked all over it"

No comments:

Post a Comment