Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Another Ghost Story

Has anyone else noticed that almost every book written by Mitch Albom deals with dead people? Is that a conincidence or does he just have a really odd obsession?

Anyway, enough speculating. A couple weeks ago I finished reading For One More Day by Mitch Albom and I figured I should probably write about it, before I forgot.

First of all, Mitch Albom books are nice to read because they are easy to read, and every once in a while, I like an easy read. They are short, they aren't dense, you can basically get through one of these books in a day or two without even really trying. Sometimes, that's nice.

"Have you ever lost someone you love and wanted one more conversation, one more chance to make up for the time when you thought they would be here forever? If so then you know you can go your whole life collecting days, and none will outweigh the one you wish you had back"

Another thing about Mitch Albom books is they are generally jam-packed with quotable phrases. I'm not really sure how that happens. But whenever I read a Mitch Albom book I think, that sentence should stand on its own!

"The truth is, there is no line. There's only your life, how you messed it up, and who is there to save you. Or who isn't"

That's not to say that I was in love with this book. Because I really wasn't. I read The Five People You Meet in Heaven long time ago, on a plane to Poland, and I remember loving it. I also remember crying a fair amount. If you haven't read that yet you definitely should.

"She wasn't easy on me, don't get me wrong, She smacked me. She scolded me. She punished me. But she loved me. She really did. She loved me falling off a swing set. She loved me stepping on her floors with muddy shoes. She loved me coming and going, at my worst and at my best. She had a bottomless well of love for me."

When I was reading this book I remember waiting for something and I'm not really sure what, but the entire book I felt like I was waiting for something. I want to say I was waiting for the point, but that sounds harsh, so I'm just going to keep it really nondescript and leave it at something. Anyway, that something never really came.

"I fell as easily as you fall into your pillow at night. And I didn't want it to end. That's the best way I can explain it. I knew it was impossible. But I didn't want it to end."

Of course, as I read through these quotes I clipped from the novel I can't help but think that these are really great and therefore, I must have loved the book. Because, these quotes are great and typically I absolutely love books when I love the writing.

"When someone is in your heart, they're never truly gone. They can come back to you, even at unlikely times"

Anyway, what I'm trying to say, basically the entire point of this post is I would still recommend reading this book, because it's a nice, easy read and full of good quotes, but I wouldn't put it on any sort of acclaimed novels list.

No comments:

Post a Comment