Thursday, August 19, 2010

That Crazy Pregnant Lady

The plane ride to Nashville was....interesting.

First, I showed up at the Ithaca airport to learn that my flight, which was supposed to arrive in Newark at 4:30 was delayed until 5:30 - due to weather conditions in Newark. This wasn't really a problem, because I was scheduled for a massively long layover and my next flight wasn't scheduled to leave until 8:00 pm.

Then we somehow arrived in Newark at 5:30, the time we were supposedly going to take off. So I guess they were ahead of schedule. Or still behind, but ahead of the behind. Or something.

Anyway

I headed to my gate, pulled out my Kindle and started reading. I had two and a half hours until my flight took off, so I wasn't particularly concerned with the goings on over the loudspeaker. Then suddenly, I look up and realize that my flight is no longer on the board by my gate.

Hmm, weird, maybe I got moved to another gate.

Me: Is the flight to Nashville at 8:00 still leaving from this gate.
Attendent: Yes, but its been delayed to 9:55 PM.  But there is another flight for Nashville boarding right now at the gate down there.

So I run to the gate and get bumped to an earlier flight. I love it when a day comes together.

On the plane, I am sitting next to a boy? man? that has just taken his bar exams, is flying back down to Nashville to pack up his things and move to NY to be a lawyer.

Me: Oh, that is awesome. What kind of lawyer are you going to be?
Him: A corporate lawyer. I want to stay as far away from the courtroom as possible!
Me: Isn't that all paperwork then?
Him: Yeah, but I just really don't want to be in the courtroom.
Me: Oh, that is the part that I think I would like. Paperwork is my least favorite part of my job. I would hate it if it was my entire job.

It was about this time he decided he didn't really want to talk to me anymore.

...some minutes later...

Flight Attendent: Do you want a ham or a turkey sandwich
Me: Do you have vegetarian?
Flight Attendent: No, sorry ma'am. Just ham or turkey tonight?
Me: I'll take turkey then.
flight attendent moves on
Me: I'm technically not supposed to eat lunch meat because I'm pregnant. But I'm really hungry and there's no other choices - so I'm still going to eat this.
Lawyer: Oh yeah. (not really interested or listening to me)

...some minutes later...
The lawyer sitting next to me is listening to Ray Charles, renaming music files, and reading the economist. I am reading my Kindle and suddenly feel like there is a lot of pressure in my head. I start trying to swallow. Then, I feel like my nose is running. So I reach my right hand up to wipe it. I look down at my hand and see that it is covered in blood. I then reach my left hand up and wipe. blood. At this point I am alternating hands, and trying to tip my head back to control the mass amount of blood that is running from my nose.
Me: Ummm. Do you have a napkin or a tissue to something
Lawyer: hands me a napkin.
I try to salvage my face and hands together as the bleeding finally ceases.

That marks of the end of all conversation between myself and the lawyer.

At least he probably had a good story about the crazy, annoying pregnant lady sitting next to him on the plane.

2 comments:

  1. Another good reason for me to not fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no you should definitely fly. travel. explore. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete