Thursday, December 3, 2009

Grandma's Pancakes

Aren't Grandma's pancakes the best? I know my grandma's are. In fact, to this day everytime I go up there (way, way up there. All the way to Malone, NY - look on a map, it's north and cold and basically in Canada) or she comes down here - I beg her to make pancakes for breakfast every single day. Ok, that's a lie. I don't beg. She's my grandma. She happily makes pancakes for me every single day and I never ever have to crawl on my knees or plead or even make the slightest sound of distress. That's how much she loves me.

So back to my original point. I've always been a little scared to even try making these pancakes because her's are just soooo good. They are thin, but they are not crepes. They are fluffy, but they are not thick. They are absolutely perfect and delicious in every single way. Lots of times I just eat them with only butter. That is how good they are.

On Thanksgiving morning, I decided to take my hand at these pancakes for my love (and myself). I got a box of Baking Mix from Aldi - It's the same thing as bisquick, but I'm a fan of anything Aldi myself. I followed the instructions on the back of the box - you know adding milk and eggs- really tough stuff. And then (here comes the secret ingredient part)... I added a dash of vanilla and just a little tiny extra bit of milk. So much extra milk that you would not notice I did it, but enough to give my pancakes that perfect consistency my grandma achieves time and time again.

And then, I made them, in a frying pan. You know, flip them when the bubble, all the regular pancake stuff that you already know.
And Guess What???
They were amazing! Just like my grandma's pancakes! It was a very proud day in my life.
So, make some pancakes this weekend. And don't forget the real maple syrup (it makes it all sooo much better!)

1 comment:

  1. Nothing I make is as good as my grandmas because she adds a pound of butter to everything. These look good. I'm making breakfast this weekend.

    ReplyDelete