Friday, September 10, 2010

Needless Concerns

I have this problem. I mean, I don't know if its a problem more than I just really can not figure out how my brain works.

I worry about things that are way way way in the future. But problems that are more imminent don't seem so much like problems to me. Just things that need to be dealt with and aren't really worth stressing over.

Basically, I stress over things that are so far away they really don't matter and don't stress about things that are so close they do.

Like everyone keeps asking me if I've starting getting a baby room ready.
To which I always reply, Well, we're living in a one bedroom apartment. So no.
For some reason this does not stress me out.

The other day my sister-in-law was asking me what I was going to do for childcare.
To which I replied, Well, I'm going to have to find something. But I haven't done anything about it yet.

These are obviously both looming concerns that I should most likely deal with. soon.

But I instead spend a good 20 minutes the other day stressing about being an empty nester. Yes, you heard me correctly, empty nester. I was just thinking that I'm only 24 now, so when the baby is 20 I will only be 44. Even if I have kids until I'm 30 that will still only make me 50. Which means I'll have at least 10 years when I will still be working and not have any kids in the house. At which point, what exactly am I working for? Not to establish a career. That is what I am doing now. Not to support a family, they will all be gone. Not to save money for retirement, it'll be too late to save be then. So I'll just be working, instead of traveling the world child-free for ten years.

So yes, if you're wondering - these are the great world questions I devote my time to.

No comments:

Post a Comment