Sunday, May 16, 2010

On Trying New Things

So, I think I've mentioned before that Martin doesn't like change. That he's really into routines. Yeah. I've definitely mentioned that a time or two. So, I knew it was going to be a challenge to get him to try Thai Food. But, I love Thai and it would really make my life if he did also. So, I went about it as well as I knew how. I have made Pad Thai before. When I say made it before I mean I bought the appropriate noodles and also purchased a premade sauce. So, it's basically like making spaghetti. I'd love to say it's impossible to screw up, but if that was the case I wouldn't have anything to write about in this post, would I?

So, like I said, it's sooooo easy to make. You boil the noodles and coat in sauce. I made chicken pad thai, so I also grilled chicken breast pieces in a frying pan. Then you mix it all together and top with chopped peanuts and I like to throw cilantro on there for looks, but its completely unneccesary. So you see? Totally easy. A monkey could make that. I apparently was not a monkey this particular evening.
Everything seemed to be going great. Martin walked into the kitchen, noted that it smelled fantastic, tried a piece of chicken and said, This is delicious. I, in turn, became overly confident in the meal and started telling him how it was Thai food and I knew he would like it. Martin countered with an argument about how I had tricked him into trying it.

And then, the fatal moment, Martin went in to eat the pad thai with a fork. You know, eat the noodles and everything. And, I had undercooked the noodles. This caused them to have a weird spring to them and just taste kind of strange. I tried to explain to Martin that I had undercooked the noodles and they really are very good. But it was no use. He didn't eat any of the noodles and declared that he hated Thai noodles.

I think I've ruined my chances of him ever trying Thai again!

No comments:

Post a Comment